Certification as a Sport, Recreation, and Fitness Minister (CSRFM) Is Designed To:
- Resource, train, equip, connect and inform all Local Church Sports Ministers, Sports Pastors, Fitness Ministers, Activities Directors and Church Recreators for Strategically-Relevant & Efficiently-Effective SR&F Outreach Ministry.
- Award CSRM's Internationally recognized Sports Minister's Certification upon the completion of required training.
- Communicate the rationale for, explanation of: CSRM's "3-Tier Paradigm" of Theological-Truths, Philosophical-Principles, and Methodological-Models as the Organizational Structure for Local Church SR&F Outreach.
- Being a Certified Sports, Recreation, and Fitness Minister (CSRFM) is valuable to both the local church leader in sport, recreation, and fitness ministries, as well as, para-ministry organizations that use sports and recreation as an outreach tool.
Why Is Certification Important?
- Professional Commitment. The education and training necessary to gain certification communicates your commitment to the field of sports and recreation ministries. Continuing education is a crucial aspect of professionalism and the certification not only gives that initial education, but in order to maintain certification, one must obtain Continuing Education Units in workshops, webinars, and other forms.
- Enhances a Professional Image. Learning the biblical basis of how sports and recreation ties into the ministry of the church offers the sports and recreation minister the opportunity to improve how others view their leadership. Instead of being a “separate” ministry, one can communicate how all ministries work together in a local church.
- Recognition of Your Accomplishment. People finishing the process obtain a certificate indicating their completion of Sports Outreach Minister’s Certification. Completion also grants the minister the ability to use the letters “CSRFM” following their signature. In this way, all communication will alert others of your accomplishment.
- Expansion of Skill and Knowledge.
General Information Concerning the Certification
- The initial Certification requires 30 total units (approximately 30 clock hours) and is valid for 24 months.
- The Certification requires:
- Level #1 - Theological Truths (5 units)
- Level #2 - Philosophical Principles (5 units)
- Level #3 - Methodological Models (10 units)
- Electives (10 units...could include additional sessions from any of Levels 1-3 or electives).
- The links for each session will be sent to you following the approval of your application.
- The Certification can be renewed and maintained every year thereafter by receiving 5 hours of Continuing Education Units (CEU's) each year. CEU’s are obtained by attending conferences, webinars, etc.
- The period for completion, once accepted, takes anywhere from one month to one year depending on the energy and time availability of the student.
How to Become a CSRFM
There are four ways to earn credit for the CSRM Sports Minister's Certification or CEU credits for renewal:
- Purchase the your Certification from the CSRM Store. A CSRM representative will contact you.
- Hard copy resources Christmanship: A Theology of Competition and Sport, Sports Ministry That Wins, Into the Stadium, A Sporting Guide to Eternity, Christmanship, and Sports Outreach Fundamentals and other required resources will be mailed to you upon receipt of payment and application. A list of the approved topics will be sent for you to mark the ones taken.
- Upon approval, begin obtaining course work from the following:
- Choose a topic listed in the Certification Curriculum with a corresponding link; attend presentations at a REACHgathering; watch a recorded CSRM/CEDE Webinar; attend CSRM Continental, National and/or Regional Sports Outreach Summits; Watch/Listen to CSRM weekly podcasts; and/or receive other training (requires Certification Board approval).
- University/College/Seminary Course Work, including Extension and Correspondence courses, from a CSRM approved institution may be applicable for credit. Submit course work and date taken to the Certification Board for approval.
- CSRM's AGON Institute of Sports Ministry course work.
- Mentorship with a Certification Board approved mentor. Receive mentoring from any CSRM staff, selected past or present CSRM Board of Trustee members, selected CSRM Ministry Partners, or other recognized SR&F leaders based on Certification Board approval.
- CSRM Training such as the AGON Institute of Sports Ministry, Global Network Partner Training, CSRM Connections Meetings, and CSRM YouTube Videos.
- When all course work is completed submit the following work:
- Check off all completed courses on worksheet
- Complete the following assignments:
- Theological Truths (5)
In 500 words or more, please share how you would describe the theology of sports and recreation.
- Philosophical Principles (5)
Please write a positional paper of 500 words or more on the use of sports and recreation in the ministry of the local church.
- Methodological Models (10)
Please list the session reviewed and write two paragraphs about the important aspects of methodology learned.
- Electives (10)
Write a brief paragraph on what you learned in each elective course.
- Theological Truths (5)
Shape Divider - Style mountains
Shape Divider - Style fan_opacity
Shape Divider - Style triangle_asymmetrical